Thursday, July 30, 2009

July 31, 2009


"Cindy"
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Pull-ups
10 Push-ups
15 Squats
OR
"Mary"
Complete as many rounds in 20 minutes as you can of:
5 Handstand Push-ups
10 One legged squats, alternating
15 Pull-ups
Here's a hot topic on the main Crossfit blog... steroids. Seriously. As many of you know, every individual competitor at the 2009 Games was required to complete a steroids test. To date, I am not aware of anywhere that they have posted the results. What do you guys think? In a world where maximizing human potential is our goal- do steroids have a place? And, should Crossfit make the results of the steroids testing known? Do you feel steroids are anti-Crossfit...or do they add something? Should all substances be banned, or, if you know a lot about this (and we'll assume it's just because you're a chemist... ;) are there some substances that you think should be made permissible? People have cited caffeine as a performance-enhancing drug and argued that if caffeine is OK, and that's a drug, all drugs should be permitted. If you guys subscribe to the journal (and you totally should- it's $25/year and you get access to amazing information- and no, I don't get any proceeds;) check out the recent journal video on steroids and Crossfit- it was posted a few days ago.
I definitely have strong feelings about this- but I want this to be an open forum b/c I'm genuinely curious what everyone thinks- so I'm not going to tip my hand because I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. I promise to talk about what I think in the comments... later ;)

11 comments:

jason hanks said...

DR.Jenn what gives you the idea that, that guy is on steroids? It is pretty obvious to me he drinks strawberry milk with in 30 mins after of his workout.

jay said...

Unless truely being used to recover from an injury, after other less invasive approaches fail and under the direction of a medical doctor (not associated with a medical marijuana facility) then I say steriods have no place in crossfit. Crossfit is about being healthy, steriods don't promote overall health if used regulary as a performance enhancing drug. Since there are no multimillion dollar contracts at stake (yet?), where coming in second verses 5th is the difference in 3 million dollars, hopefully the temptation for wide spread use should be limited. Although now we are talking about people's egos and desire to be the best at any cost, that can always be problematic. Seriously though, if you beat someone elses time on a workout but do half a$$ed pushups, what have you really accomplished? Are you doing this for yourself or to project a faulse image of yourself? If you can't answer this honestly then either way you know the answer. Test away!

Anonymous said...

Jason Hanks--- can you please bring back the foam roller that you borrowed for the "weekend"...?
Jenn

Mustafa said...

WHAT IS BIG DEAL ABOUT STEROIDS? ME LIKE STEROIDS. ME LIKE BIG MUSCLES. ME FLEEEEEEEEEEX. HEH, HEH, ME MAKE FUNNY JOKE. YOU THINK JOKE FUNNY, YES? YOU DO, OR ME BREAK YOU FACE!!!!! ME NOT KIDDING!!!! ME TAKE BARBELL AND WRAP IT ROUND YOU CAR!!! ME SMASH WINDOWS!!!! ME YELL!!!! AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

YES, HEH HEH, THAT MORE LIKE IT.

Anonymous said...

Awesome job today guys! Everybody worked their butts off, and the numbers show it. Laurie worked her way through some pretty bad crossfit hands, but just kept going.

Pullup ratio is in effect (2-1)

9am
Steve - 11
Mark - 11
Andrew - 22
Candice - 9
Andrew - 9
Pat - 10
Sophia - 9
Luis - 24
Carlos - 12
Zulfi - 10
Marissa - 12
Kim - 17

11am
Sarah - 13
Sarah F. - 10
Jesse - 16
Steph - 8
Jaclyn - 11
Lisa - 13
Laurie - 10


- Erik

Lori J said...

I'll just say that it was extremely painful to wash my hair today...but totally worth it!

Thanks for the love today.

Lori

MikeV said...

Good work today!!!

"Cindy"
Matt 17
Moose 18
Lily 11
Jesse 12
Lizen 8 Hands tore at 15 min..

10 wall balls
10 abmat situps
10 supemans

gabriel 16

Mustafa said...

Wow Liz: all 8 hands tore? You are Octofit!

I bow to all you Cindy people, which is no joke. From Steph, who knocked out a gruelling 8, to Luis, who actually became Cindy with 24. Big props also to Andrew, Kim, Matt and Jesse: I was aiming high, but when I got to 12, I knew it was going to be a major battle. Thanks for reminding me about the cone Matt! (I almost lost a round.)

You fit folk are great.

thisoneguy said...

"People have cited caffeine as a performance-enhancing drug and argued that if caffeine is OK, and that's a drug, all drugs should be permitted."

If a small pocket knife is allowed in a public park, and that's a weapon, all weapons should be permitted.

So I know that's not exactly a valid comparison (I can picture my freshman Logic prof shaking his head at me), but I get pissed off when when chemicals taken in via a natural food source are called a "drug". Drinking a cup of coffee, or eating coconut oil (which is high in medium chain triglycerides, a great energy source), is not the same as shooting up or even drinking a manufactured "energy" drink.

Granted, there are gray areas. Someone could argue that the coconut oil is a manufactured product if machines were used to extract the oil... and we can't test for everything anyway. We are limited by financial and logistical realities. So the "all or nothing" argument just doesn't play out in the real world.

I'm for steroid testing, and, as I said, doing so in a way that makes financial and logistical sense. As Jay pointed out, ultimately it is the athlete who is cheated if they use steroids. By testing for steroids at the games, CrossFit goes beyond trying to ensure equal competition; it continues to promote a message of overall optimum health.

thisoneguy said...

props to you Moose... watching you in front of me kept me motivated. I was not enjoying myself =P

Alex said...

20 @ work