Wednesday, September 10, 2008

WOD September 11, 2008


"Murph"
Run 1 mile
100 pullups
200 pushups
300 squats
Run 1 mile
OR
"Mini Murph"
Run 800 m
50 pullups
100 pushups
150 squats
Run 800 m
Parse out the pullups, pushups, and squats as desired.
This workout is in honor of Navy Lieutenant Michael Murphy, 29, of Patchogue, N.Y., who was killed in Afghanistan June 28th, 2005. This workout was one of Mike's favorites and he'd nicknamed it 'Body Armor.'
September 11, 2001 was one of the saddest and most significant dates in American history. As a New Yorker, it has particular meaning for me. I was actually in Washington DC when it happened, in a training in the basement of the Federal Judiciary. I remember a man rushing in and saying that the Twin Towers had been bombed, and the Capitol building, too (later we realized this wasn't true). I remember rushing up the stairs from the basement, and seeing members of Congress coming down the stairs to hold an emergency meeting. It took several days for me to get back to New York (imagine traveling between the two most impossible places at that time- DC & NY). When I finally did get back, I remember there was a candlelight vigil that night. My friends and I were out on the street with thousands of other New Yorkers; everyone had candles, and dozens of people had pictures and posters of people they knew who were missing. I remember a woman asking people if they had a camera; I actually did have a disposable camera, which I had left in my bag from my trip. I gave her the camera, and she was thrilled- she wanted to take pictures of the vigil for her friend who worked in the Twin Towers, and was missing. She was so sure her friend would want to see everything. I never did find out what her friend's fate was. One of the saddest things I have ever done was help sift through the dust and parts of the wreckage (all federal departments stationed locally had to help). Believe me when I say that we saw all kinds of things, including small personal effects and traces of bone.
Take a moment today to remember all who we have lost, that day, and since.
28 pushups.

25 comments:

Erik the Great said...

let's do this...

Anonymous said...

I'm with the "great one"

Anonymous said...

Totally. Let's kick butt.

Mustafa said...

Is it timed?

Crossfit 360 said...

Yes- it is timed. Don't underestimate it- I'm not sure what the best murph times, but it typically lasts 45 min to over one hour. My time, the last time I did it at another affiliate, was 49 minutes. Not bad, right? Actually it isn't a bad time, but it was a humbling experience because everyone I was doing it with had WEIGHTED VESTS ON (e.g. 20 lbs), and we were all finishing very close to each other.
-Jenn

Mustafa said...

Murph is inspiring.

Let's face it: when you talk about doing 100 pullups within the confines of about an hour, heads naturally cock to the side, brows furl and people look at you like you must have just woken up from nitrous oxide anesthesia ... a few seconds ago. Add 200 pushups to the discussion and people start giving you a wide berth. If you get to the part where you are mentioning 300 squats too, you're talking to the crickets and field mice (and even they are making "koo-koo" signs behind your back). And two one mile runs. Yes: the bum who usually asks you for money heard your proposal and now crosses to the other side of the street when you approach.

But it's mminently do-able. It seems like a lot ... mainly because it is .. but there's a real sense of accomplishment once you get it done.

There was a big turn-out this morning, which was also inspiring. And Alan's pre-workout hypnotic suggestions were VERY helpful ("John, you are getting crazy, very craaaaazy ..."). What's even more incredible, I don't feel completely wrecked like I thought I would: oddly, I feel energized ("John, when you feel like saying 'shot-to-all-get-out' you will say 'energized' instead ..."). I highly recommend it, as I have gained a very fulfilling sense of satisfaction in overcoming this challenge. I'm almost tempted to do it again ... just as soon as I get out of this funny jacket (now why would anyone make sleeves with no openings, and buckle them across the chest? Must be some kind of winter-wear thing to keep you warm).

Tip: wrap tape around your hands at the base of your fingers, especially if you grip the rubber wraps on the pullup bar

Oh yeah: 28 done.

Anonymous said...

This is one of my favorite workout... it pushes you mentally and physically to the next level:
9AM and 11 AM

As prescribed
Peter 30:23 TOP MEN (great job!!!)
Kim 48:59 TOP WOMAN (great job as well)

Arthur 48:28
Chuckie 48:28
Aaron 49:14
John Mus. 54:21
Alan 60:02
Marissa 61:02
Robert 78:20

with some help... on the pull ups
Jim 47:12 (great time)
Natalie 55:22
Heather 56:59
Alison 58:32

Half "Murph"
Gabby 41:22
MaryLou 43:30 (came straight from work without sleeping.... great great job)

I know its a tough one.... but it feels great!
This is CrossFit!

Anonymous said...

Well the good thing about Murph is it's over. Oh and it got me caught up on my push up club push ups. Thank Murph, now I go and die !!!



Maybe even puke before I die!!

Anonymous said...

28 pushups done. Bizarrely, I'm starting to enjoy them. Maybe I'm developing stockholm syndrome, although it could be due to the comparative misery I feel when confronted with pull-ups.

Anonymous said...

28 down, 200 more to do with murph

Anonymous said...

28 done

Anonymous said...

28 push ups done

Anonymous said...

things that happen during murph...got dizzy,vision blured,lungs burned as did legs,had a small stroke, lost the ability to think like a normal person (i know that cause i ran a mile after all that). need to go into deep coma sleep and hope i wake up and come back to normal. But i feel great because i did it and i did it under a hour witch was my goal, i could belive i did that. that's a good feeling, so thank you murph!!

Anonymous said...

28 done :-)

Anonymous said...

WOW! That was quite the workout... I think my favorite part was the 3000 calorie burrito from chronic taco afterwards, haha! Great job everyone.

Crossfit 360 said...

Jason, you deranged lunatic. I heard you did it with a 25 pound backpack. You are crazy like a fox!!! Or a mental patient. And I should know...
-Jenn

Crossfit 360 said...

Jason, you deranged lunatic. I heard you did it with a 25 pound backpack. You are crazy like a fox!!! Or a mental patient. And I should know...
-Jenn

Crossfit 360 said...

Not sure why that last one showed up twice. But seriously J, you are an inspiration!!!

Anonymous said...

Really can't tell a non-cross fitter about Murph, they just would not understand. Can't complain about the workout after seeing Jason A. doing pullups with a 25 lb wt strapped to his back,scary fit!
28 pushups done and then some.

Mustafa said...

Peter is a gosh danged machine! I aspire to be built of similar circuitry someday.

Anonymous said...

28 done

Anonymous said...

Murph was awesome!! Tustin CrossFitters did awesome!! Today was awesome!! (Especially because after Murph I went to a bar with a 90's cover band and got my groove on to Weezer, Back Street Boys, and Hanson--yes, Hanson. Strange...I somehow managed to have energy after three workouts today (one of them being Murph)). Lets do it again sometime :).

6 pm
Jessica (Rx'd) 44:51
Jared (Rx'd) 50:50
Bill (Rx'd) 52:13
Natalie (mini) 36:30
John (mini) 36:60

I think I managed to get 28 pushups done today.

Anonymous said...

Good job guys. The times on this were impressive. We had a crazy man in our class. Jason A did the workout with a 25lb backpack on.
Jason A 57:40

As rx'd
Paul 50:46
Luis 43:42
Larry 46:52 larry didn't get to finish his last mile because his calves locked up on him. But he pushed himself up until that point.

Assisted pull ups
Deanna 44:05
Jason 54:32
Jessica 46:41
Bryan 54:36
Angie 46:35
Lily 1:00:50

Mini murph
Craig 32:11
Ricky 40:05

We also had to first timers try crossfit. There workout was Kelly.
Dan 17:53
Lisa 22:19

Keep up the great work guys. You are all becoming machines.

Anonymous said...

Imagine that you are a struggling musician and wind up being in a Hanson cover band? That is so tragic.
GREAT JOB you guys!
Jenn

Erik the Great said...

Hey Alan! Where's my time!?

43:02 if anybody's wondering